I may be a writer, but as soon as someone asks me to write about myself the words dry up and blow away like leaves on a November wind.
How about instead I tell you five things you should know about me?
- I am an only child married to an only child, and mom to an only child. So there’s three of us only children under one roof…which means when it comes to only children and OnlySchooling…I know a few things.
- I love teaching, so it was probably inevitable that we’d opt to homeschool. As a kid I “played school” during summer vacations, then taught piano lessons and tutored in high school — I’ve always been a teacher, which means first and foremost I’m a learner.
- I’m a fierce individualist — maybe that’s why I left an academic career teaching in the English Department of a small liberal arts college to become an entrepreneur. Following the beat of my own drummer can make for interesting times…especially when you’re married! LOL!
- My best Christmas ever was the year I got 17 of the yellow Nancy Drew hardcovers for Christmas (and no duplicates!) I had read them all by the time school started after New Years. So yes, reading has always been a passion of mine.
- In a frenetically busy world, I opt for hobbies that deliberately force me to slow down. I crochet and hand quilt and garden because it’s a slow, meditative, thoughtful process.
In addition to my work on The OnlySchoolers Podcast, I blog about homeschool issues at thehomeschoolway.com. So if you have something you’re just dying to know about me that wasn’t in this list of five things, just drop me a line at email@example.com.
My Facebook bio says it all: Mom, writer, home educator, lifelong learner, and cat herder.
My favorite role – and the most important – is and always will be Mom to my gorgeous daughter, and the rest are in no particular order – but don’t tell that to my three cats, because they honestly feel they deserve top billing!
I never know what to say when someone asks what’s the most interesting thing about me, but I do know the answer to the truest thing about me: I love to learn.
When my older sister went to kindergarten and learned to read, that was the catalyst I needed to figure out all those strange symbols myself and keep up; with my mom’s help, I quickly figured it out…and never looked back. Everything intrigued me and I read widely – and kind of precociously.
History was by far my favorite and I credit some wonderful historical fiction for my ultimate decision to earn my bachelor’s degree in history at Westminster College. That morphed into a master’s degree in Library Science from the University of Missouri-Columbia…since I just can’t get enough of books!
That curiosity and willingness to dig for an answer has served me well, because as I’ve gotten older, it seems there’s always something I need to know – I model lifelong learning for my daughter every day! All my hobbies revolve around constantly learning: traveling, cooking, baking, sewing, gardening.
Most often, though, you’ll find me curled up in my cozy chair with a big cuppa tea and a good book – that’s my happy place!